That morning coffee... Nothing is more enticing than the smell of fresh roasted coffee beans being brewed in the morning. Some people claim they just can't start their day without that jolt of caffeine coursing through their system.
Ayurveda doesn't consider foods inherently "good" or "bad." Rather, it's about what is good for the individual based on their health, age, etc.
Coffee is a stimulant and is very heating. Therefore it is Pitta in nature. For people that tend to be anxious, angry, impatient, or suffer from chronic inflammation, rashes, indigestion, heartburn and skin rashes – which are all signs of pitta imbalance – coffee will most likely aggravate those symptoms, especially when consumed on an empty stomach.
Weaning off of coffee is recommended more than quitting abruptly as the body may have certain "detox" symptoms such as headaches and even pain. If you like a little caffeine in the morning, you can try switching to black or green tea which are less heating and acidic.
For a delicious, coffee alternative that tastes almost exactly like it, try this creamy Shilajit latte recipe! This Ayurvedic energy drink is caffeine free, yet provides a stable, balanced energy boost from the Shilajit.
DANDY SHILAJIT LATTE RECIPE
Makes 1 dandy blend latte recipe serving.
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup regular milk or non-dairy milk (almond milk, coconut milk or oat milk)
- 1.5 tsp Dandy Blend powder (or other chicory root based tea powder)
- 1 tsp Monk Fruit Sweetener (granulated, not liquid)
- Rice grain of Authentic Shilajit™
- 1 tsp ghee or coconut oil
- Put Dandy Blend, Monk Fruit and Shilajit in a cup and pour boiling water over. Stir to combine.
- Heat 1/2 cup almond milk over the stove until warmed through.
- Pour Shilajit mixture, milk and ghee or coconut oil into a blender and blend on high speed until smooth and frothy.
- Pour in a cup and enjoy!